Friday, January 23, 2009

A Message From Sheila Smith . . .

My Life in Panama

Our adventure in Panama began the first night with an unplanned tour of Panama. Apparantely, Walter had never been to one of the host homes and after driving for what seemed like days and three phone calls to the host family we arrived at our first drop off point. Walter, Wayne & I then proceeded to our host family but first made a much needed food run at 12:30am for Wayne & Walter. The trip continued with Walter driving down a one way street, into oncoming traffic all the while thinking the other fellow was on the wrong side as Wayne and I protested, "Walter, this is a one way street and you're on the wrong side." I thought I was going home to Jesus and I had not even seen Panama yet.

The work here is amazing...bible studies, English lessons, construction, cooking, eating, laughing. Rut is my driver and personal shopper and each day we do our grocery shopping...Rut can stretch a dollar a mile. Gertrue, having recovered from a very bad couple of days is a great asset for me in the my kitchen...yes, it's my kitchen...it's off limits to Dolores. My new friend is the large electric skillet that Mike found for me. We have had fried potatoes and fried spaghetti. Ernie is working a tight ship with the work crew. A few nights ago, after Wayne sat down with a plate of food, Ernie let the crew know the work was not done for the evening...it's so pathetic to see my husband walk away from a plate of food...he's wasting away to nothing. Lynn has been a hoot. He is a work mule like Ernie and Wayne and loves to slop wet cement on anyone within a 10 foot radious.

And right now, as I type this message, I hold a beautiful 2 month sleeping baby...is God good or what!? I praise Him for this opportunity, for the beauty of this country, for the cooler than normal weather, for the people so kind you feel like you've known them forever and for this team of family and my DP family back home.


2 comments:

Buddy Gray said...

Thanks for the great comments Sheila. I am excited that you and Wayne are on this trip. Cannot wait for all the stories when everyone comes home.

Anonymous said...

Love all the comments and pictures. We sure miss all of you but it awesome seeing and hearing all the work that is being done for our awesome GOD! You all amaze and inspire me! All my love, Elizabeth